- Title Pages
- Foreword to the Beauvoir Series
- The Useless Mouths
- It’s Shakespeare they Don’t Like
- The Novel and the Theater
- An American Renaissance in France
- New Heroes for Old
- Existentialist Theater
- A Story I Used to Tell Myself
- Preface To <i>La Bâtarde</i> by Violette Leduc
- What Can Literature Do?
- Misunderstanding in Moscow
- My Experience as a Writer
- Introduction to <i>Bluebeard and Other Fairy Tales</i>
- Preface to <i>James Joyce in Paris: His Final Years</i>
- Preface To <i>Amélie 1</i>
- Foreword to <i>History: A Novel</i>
- Notes for a Novel
- Books in the Beauvoir Series
- Production Credits
“It’s Shakespeare They Don’t Like,” “The Novel and the Theater,” “An American Renaissance in France,” and “New Heroes for Old”
- (p.91) Introduction
- The Useless Mouths and Other Literary Writings
- University of Illinois Press
“In the same week we have heard Sartre’s lecture, been to the opening night of Les bouches inutiles (The Useless Mouths) and read the first issue of Les temps modernes (Modern Times).”1 So wrote a mildly irritated critic, according to Beauvoir in ...
Illinois Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.