- Title Pages
- Maps, Plans, and Illustrations
- Introduction Beyond the Laclède-Chouteau Legend
- Chapter 1 Fort d’Orléans and the Grotton–St. Ange Family
- Chapter 2 The Rise of Louis St. Ange de Bellerive
- Chapter 3 The Illinois Country in Transition, 1763–1765
- Chapter 4 Commandant St. Ange de Bellerive
- Chapter 5 The Village Emerges
- Chapter 6 Logs and Stones: Early St. Louis Buildings
- Chapter 7 The Coutume de Paris Rules
- Chapter 8 Slaves: African and Indian
- Chapter 9 In Small Things Forgotten
- Chapter 10 Foundations of the St. Louis Fur Trade
- Chapter 11 End of an Era
- Conclusion St. Louis and the Wider World
- Appendix A St. Louis Counts
- Appendix B St. Louis Indian Slave Census, 1770
- Production Credits
Illinois Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.