- Title Pages
- Technical Notes
- 1 Fort Napier
- 2 From Whence They Came
- 3 Establishing an Imperial Presence
- 4 Building a Fort
- 5 Pageantry, Pioneers, Panics and Punitive Expeditions
- 6 Ceremonies and Crises
- 7 Soldiers in Garrison
- 8 The Inniskilling Fusiliers
- 9 The Garrison and the Wider Society
- 10 “For the Colonel’s Lady and Judy O’Grady Are Sisters under Their Skins”
- 11 Spending the Queen’s Shilling
- 12 The Garrison and the State
- 13 Recessional
- Appendix List of Regiments in Garrison in Natal/Pietermaritzburg, 1842–1914
- Notes on Sources
- The History of Military Occupation
- Production Credits
- Last Outpost on the Zulu Frontiers
- University of Illinois Press
Illinois Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.