- Title Pages
- A Note on Chinese Names and Terms
- Introduction Everyday Practice and the Imaginary
- Chapter 1 Shaping Forces, Networks, and Local Influences
- Chapter 2 The Chinese Exclusion Act and Chinatown Theaters
- Chapter 3 Immigration
- Chapter 4 Aesthetics, Repertoire, Roles, and Playbills
- Chapter 5 An Examination of the Aria Song “Shilin Jita”
- Chapter 6 Powder and Rouge
- Chapter 7 From Lun On and Lun Hop to the Great China Theater, 1922–1925
- Chapter 8 The Affluent Years
- Chapter 9 A Sucessful, Majestic Stage
- Chapter 10 A Theater of Actresses
- Chapter 11 Two Theaters and a Merger in New York
- Chapter 12 From Honolulu to Havana
- Appendix List of Chinese Names and Terms
- Music in American Life
- Chinatown Opera Theater in North America
- University of Illinois Press
Illinois Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.