- Title Pages
- 1 The Story of the Concord Sonata, 1911–1947
- 2 The Programmatic Argument and Henry Sturt
- 3 The Human Faith Theme and the Whole-Tone Hypothesis
- 4 “Emerson” The Essay
- 5 “Emerson” The Music
- 6 The “Emerson” Concerto and Its Offshoots
- 7 Hawthorne and The Celestial Railroad
- 8 “Hawthorne”
- 9 “The Alcotts”
- 10 “Thoreau” The Essay
- 11 “Thoreau”The Music
- 12 A Harmony of ImperfectionsThe Epilogue
- 13 The First Piano Sonata
- 14 Editions (1920 versus 1947) and Performance Questions
- Appendix A Correction of Misattributed Quotations in Essays before a Sonata
- Appendix B Variants in Available Recordings of the Concord Sonata
- Appendix C Must a Song Always Be a Song?
- Production Credits
Illinois Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.